Thursday, April 15, 2010

Chynna in the 20's

(I realize I made mistakes.. they are intended) heh heh
Hi. I'm Chynna an' I live in Arkansas.[1920's]

I'm 16 an' I go ta Dunbar High School e'ryday I ken get thur.

One day I hope God'll bless me with enuff smarts ta go ta Philander Smith College.

I live in a ALL black neighborhood an' my family is the poorest. I neva get made fun of for havin' less cuz ain't none of us got much of anythin'. So I'm happy wit our money situation.

The KKK don't like my street much. Sometimes I find myself awake at night starin' at a burnin' cross thru my window. I get scared they'll steal Pa away an' Lynch 'em like they did MaryEllen's dad. She cried fo' three days straight. Sho' nuff, I would too. . .

I wanna grow up an' be jus like Josephine Baker.... 'cept wit more clothes on. Ma' always says why buy the cow when yew ken get the milk fo' free. Alls I'm sayin is I wont people ta know my name in otha countries too!

And jus think.. Duke Ellington went ta Dunbar like me an' look wur he is now. . . .[End]

NO! I do not think I would enjoy living in the 1920's for the simple fact that I am a BLACK WOMAN. That is two strikes against me. True, life for black people had improved a little but not enough to want to experience it. I do not want to attend an all black school, be in fear of the Ku Klux Klan and not have any white friends.. I love diversity.

I have been spoiled by the 21 century and would DIE if I had to give it up.

No comments: